Saturday, August 1, 2020

Reaching Post #800 & the Way Forward


“History is the essence of innumerable biographies” — Thomas Carlyle

The post that comes after this commentary marks the 800th on this blog devoted to what I have chosen to call “Pre-Prohibition Whiskey Men.” They were the distillers, “rectifiers” (i.e. blenders), wholesale and retail liquor dealers, saloonkeepers and others who played a role in that national industry before January 1,1920.  

As noted in April 2011, when I began this blog, from the very founding of the United States making and selling whiskey was a major occupation. George Washington we know was an important early distiller. The men who over time built and maintained this industry often had interesting and notable careers. In addition to their histories are the artifacts they have left behind in many forms, items that often are avidly collected today.

At this writing the site is fast approaching a million views. They have come primarily from the United States but regularly from other countries such as the United Kingdom, Russia, Ireland and Germany.  I also have received hundreds of comments, the overwhelming majority of them positive, from descendants of individuals profiled, collectors of bottles and other whiskey memorabilia, professional and amateur historians, and individuals involved in contemporary distilling.  I try to respond to all messages.

Of particular pride are the 284 men and women who have signed on as followers of this blog.  Starting out with a handful of friends and relatives, the numbers have grown beyond my wildest imagining.  I am grateful to each of these individuals for their expression of interest and support. 

As every 100th post has been reached, I have reassessed the prospect of continuing to go on.  My decision largely is based on whether sufficient good stories of whiskey men remain to be told.  The backlog of material in my files strongly suggests continuing.  Despite being in my 85th year, my plan is to go forward to 900 posts — and despite Corvid-19 I hope to be around at that milestone to reassess once again.  





No comments:

Post a Comment